*Appointments are required prior to your visit. For details, visit our FAQ Page.
Adoption Specials (unless otherwise noted):
- Adult Dogs (1 year & Older): $50
- Puppies (Up to 11 Months): $75
- Cats & Kittens: $50 or 2 for $75
- Rabbits $25
*Payment methods accepted: Cash or Visa, Mastercard, and Discover card.
1. Schedule Your Appointment
- After viewing a list of available pets, call (916) 875-2287 between 9:30 am - 3:30 pm, daily (except holidays) to schedule your adoption appointment (face coverings and social distancing are required).
2. Visit The Pets
- Spend some time and get acquainted with the pet. Carefully consider if it is the right size, temperament, and breed for you. Consider daily care and home environment needs, training, and other pets at home. We have information packets to help! We strongly suggest bringing your children with you to ensure a good match.
3. Adoption Counseling.
- Fill out an adoption application (dog and cat). When the form is complete, return to the Desk for processing.
- Speak with one of our adoption counselors to process paperwork, and proceed to the Payment Desk.
- Adoption fees may vary depending on the type of pet and any additional services you may request.
- Note: Please arrive in time to meet and visit with the animal of your choice before considering adoption.
- Review Adoption Fees
4. Spay/Neuter Surgery, Then Bring Your New Pet Home!
- If the pet is already altered, you may take your pet home immediately!
- If not altered, the spay/neuter surgery will be performed before your new pet goes home and generally takes only one business day.
- Most pets are held for a mandatory period of time and must pass a temperament test before being made available for adoption.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to adopt from our shelter.
- City or out of town residents - You are welcome to adopt a pet from our shelter if you live anywhere in the United States, but it is a requirement to license your pet with your hometown.