*Appointments are required prior to your visit. For details, visit our FAQ Page.
Adoption Specials (unless otherwise noted):
- Adult Dogs (1 year & Older): $50
- Puppies (Up to 11 Months): $75
- Cats & Kittens: $50 or 2 for $75
- Rabbits: $25
- Other Animals: Please check with adoption staff
*Payment methods accepted: Cash or Visa, Mastercard, and Discover card.
1. View Adoptable Pets Online
- View our list of available pets online.
- Carefully consider if the pet is the right size, temperament, and suitable for your household. Consider daily care, home environment needs, training, routine veterinary care and vaccines, annual licensing fees, and other pets at home. Check with landlords and homeowner associations to determine whether having a pet is possible or if there are pet guidelines and requirements.
- Select up to 3 pets to visit by writing down their associated Animal ID Number (ex. A123456), which is mandatory to schedule your appointment over-the-phone.
- Adoptions are available on a first-come, first-service basis. If you selected a pet younger than 3 years of age, please select two more pets to visit and write down their Animal ID Numbers.
2. Schedule Your Appointment
- Call (916) 875-2287 between 9:30 am - 3:30 pm (except Mondays and holidays) to schedule your adoption appointment.
- Provide the Animal ID Number(s) and your contact information to the shelter representative.
- Please limit your call to 10 minutes, so others have a chance to make adoption appointments.
- If you receive an unavailable message, please call back during our normal business hours as the line is in use.
3. Fill Out an Adoption Application
- Fill out an adoption application (dog and cat) and bring it with you during your visit.
4. Visit The Pets
- Face coverings and social distancing are required. During your visit, spend some time and get acquainted with the pet. We strongly suggest bringing your children and other household members with you to ensure a good match.
5. Adoption Counseling
- Speak with one of our adoption counselors to process paperwork, turn in your filled-out adoption form, and proceed to the Payment Desk.
- Adoption fees may vary depending on the type of pet and any additional services you may request.
- Licensing fees are required and vary by your home address. City residents should receive a bill in the mail and all licensing fees must be renewed annually.
- Review Adoption & Licensing Fees
6. Spay/Neuter Surgery, Then Bring Your New Pet Home!
- If the pet is already altered, you may take your pet home immediately!
- If not altered, the spay/neuter surgery will be performed before your new pet goes home and generally takes only one business day.
- Most pets are held for a mandatory period of time and must pass a temperament test before being made available for adoption.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to adopt from our shelter.
- City or out-of-town residents - You are welcome to adopt a pet from our shelter if you live anywhere in the United States, but it is a requirement to license your pet with your hometown.