Have you lost your pet?
1. SEARCH AT THE ANIMAL SHELTER FOR YOUR PET AND REGISTER YOUR PET ONLINE
2. FOLLOW SACLOSTPETS ON TWITTER
3. VISIT LOCAL SHELTERS
4. POST FLYERS
5. PLACE A YARD SIGN
6. PLACE AN AD
Download our new
Pet Search Checklist. And, take the following steps to locate your animal:
1. Search at the Animal Shelter *online and in person and
Register Your Lost Pet at PetHarbor.com and at Finding Rover (a free mobile app).
a. Note the Animal Shelter Number given to the animal
b. Visit the shelter at 3839 Bradshaw Road to look for your pet in person
Lost Animal Form; Fax: 916-875-5519; or Email:
Animal Shelter; or File at: 3839 Bradshaw Road
For additional assistance, the Sacramento County Bradshaw Animal Shelter has a Lost and Found Team that can assist owners/finders by walking them through registering pets on Pet Harbor, offering tips on finding pets, navigating various shelter websites and jurisdictions and answering questions about stray pets in the shelter. Call (916) 875-LOST (5678) or email BradshawLostAndFound@saccounty.net. All inquiries via email and voicemail will be followed up within 48 hours.
*Pictures of some animals may not be available at this time due to behavioral or injury issues at the time of intake, or if we are experiencing photo equipment difficulties.
2. Follow SacLostPets Twitter:
Strays brought to shelter uploaded to Twitter with location found/picture within 30 minutes of arrival.
Other Tips to Find Your Lost Pet:
Visit local shelters and check websites every three days to see if your pet has arrived.
Post flyers within a mile radius of where your pet was lost at vets, stores, schools and churches.
a. Include date/place where lost, type/breed and your phone number (Don't list name on the flyer).
Place a yard sign in front of your house, with a photo of your missing pet and your phone number.
People who find a lost pet often will walk or drive around the area, trying to find the pet’s owner.
Place an ad in the lost and found sections of papers and online bulletin boards.
a. Sacramento Bee (916-321-1234) or Craigslist.
7. Search neighborhood Facebook Lost/Found Pet pages
Did you find your lost pet at the shelter?
To Pick Up Your Animal
1. First, look up the pet's Animal Shelter Number by searching the Lost Animals links above.
2. Provide rabies vaccination history from your vet; your pet cannot be released until history is verified.
Documents maybe faxed to 916-875-5519.
3. Provide license status. Pets cannot be released unless the licensing information is up-to-date.
Find out about licensing.
Have you found someone's pet?
1. Complete the Found Animal Form
a. Bring the form into the shelter, along with any flyers; or
b. Submit the form to
County Animal Care; or
c. Fax to 916-875-5519
2. Report a found pet by registering at
PetHarbor.com to alert the owner that someone has possibly found the pet.
3. Post flyers around your area.
4 . Notify shelters that you have the animal.
5. Notify local vets.
6. Post an ad in the Sacramento Bee
Sacramento Bee's Online Classifieds Placement.
7. Post on neighborhood Facebook Lost/Found Pet pages
**Please note, you cannot legally keep or rehome a stray animal until after 30 days of searching for its owner if you chose to keep the animal in your home and not turn it into the shelter.
If you can't care for the animal or it's injured: Contact veterinarians in your or area shelters immediately. Many 24-hour veterinarian hospitals will take animals after hours until a local shelter is open or will care for the injured animal.
Local Rescue Organizations: